College of Pure & Applied Sciences
The High-points of COPAS philosophical consideration and objectives, which guide the teaching of the theory and practice of science in COPAS, are:
- To give students an initial broad training in the core science subjects of biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics. To this end, all curricula for programmes in the College allow for a minimum of eight (8) units of each core science subjects at 100 levels
- To give adequate opportunity for skill acquisition in the use of the investigative tools of science as an empirical field of study with the purpose of developing competence in and enthusiasm for the application of science and technology to solution of relevant societal problems.
- To allow the exercise of freedom of choice and promote self-realization and actualization. COPAS curricula have significant flexibility that allows students to conveniently change programme in similar discipline at the end of 100 and 200 levels of study.
- To promote inter-disciplinary orientation and make application of science to problem solving the goal of the training of the scientists. Entrepreneurship courses in the College curricula offer the opportunity for multi-disciplinary projects, which are designed to replicate private productive sector milieu and focus on social relevance, social acceptability and service to society.
- To inculcate in our students the core behavioural attributes- of probity, hard work, and commitment- of natural scientists in empirical data-gathering and discipline in data analysis and impeccable integrity in inferential decision making.
To provide wholesome and comprehensive science education that stimulates intellectual enquiry and engenders a quest for solving developmental problem in the drive towards service and leadership roles in the ingenuous and global societies